Thank you for your interest in APS of Durham. All open employment positions are listed below. Please visit our site regularly to learn about the status of our job postings and to find those that may relate to your experience and talents.
Animal Behavior Manager
This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring all APS programs intended to identify, correct and prevent problem behavior in animals. This includes overseeing public classes, outreach helplines, enrichment programs, and shelter animal evaluations for the adoption program. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct daily behavior evaluations for animals within the shelter
- Provide referral information and advice on animal behavior issues, training methods and training equipment
- Give assistance and recommendations to adopters to better match an animal to a prospective home
- Create written behavior descriptions of animals for the public
- Develop and teach a basic training course to help members of the public with their animals
- Provide and conduct training programs for staff and volunteers as needed
- Maintain an enrichment program to ensure humane care of shelter animals
- Work closely with management and volunteers to ensure behavior needs and APS goals are being met
- Become certified in and perform euthanasia as needed
Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exceptional and compassionate customer service
- Knowledge of positive animal training
- Knowledge of common animal issues in home environments
- Knowledge of shelter standards of care
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work every Saturday
- CPDT or KPA certification
- Certification by the Academy of Dog Trainers a plus
- Animal Shelter experience preferred
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Employment@apsofdurham.org. Place the position title in the subject line.
Animal Care Technician
Summary: To perform all the necessary functions in maintaining the shelter in a thoroughly clean and sanitary manner. To ensure that all sheltered animals are provided the best possible care and attention.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide humane care for all animals in the APS of Durham care
- Clean and disinfect all animal areas as necessary to maintain a safe and sanitary environment
- To assist with the Unloading of Animal Services Officers (ASO) trucks
- Feed and ensure water is available at all times for all animals
- Unload, store and restock Animal Care Department supplies
- Perform vaccinations on intake of animals
- Assist with Euthanasia of animals
- Dispose of deceased animals
- Perform light maintenance and other janitorial duties
- Assist with the washing and maintain of laundry
- Assist in the training of new staff
- Provide assistance to other departments as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure a positive public image, enhance the operation of the organization and improve the quality of life for animals
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Chameleon database software or become proficient within the first six months from hire date. Basic knowledge, or become proficient with Microsoft Office and computer keyboarding skills (data entry).
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50-75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, zoonotic disease, exposure to aggressive/feral animals and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.