We update our adoptable pet pages as often as possible. However, due to the large number of animals we adopt and receive each day, we cannot guarantee that the animals listed here will still be available when you visit us.
How does the adoption process work?
You are welcome to look at the animals anytime during our business hours. If there is a particular animal that interests you, we ask that you complete an adoption application form, and then you can meet with that animal in one of our visitation rooms. If you have questions, an adoption counselor will be happy to help you select an animal that fits your lifestyle and expectations.
- Due to the time and consideration given to each adoption, no application can be processed nor can a visit take place within 30 minutes of closing time. We want you to have plenty of time to make a decision that will affect you and your potential pet for its lifetime.
- Each adoption is approved on an individual basis. Some animals may not be considered appropriate for your particular situation, and so may not be adopted to you.
- A $25 deposit will hold a pet and allow the processing of your application to begin. This process will take between 3-5 business days, during which time your pet will be evaluated, immunized, de-wormed, microchipped & spayed/neutered.
- All animals are required to be spayed or neutered before they go home. Exceptions may be made for animals that are too young or have medical reasons requiring postponement. In these cases a future date for surgery will be scheduled. All surgeries are performed in the shelter’s surgical center, and usually the animals can go home the same day.
All adoptions are finalized with an adoption contract. Essentially, we are asking that you provide a loving home and veterinary care for the lifetime of the animal.
How much does it cost?
- Cats & kittens are $95. The adoption fee for your 2nd cat is only $50 when adopting two together!
- Dogs & puppies range from $100-$175.
- Fees for other animals vary.
These fees help offset the cost of evaluation, housing, feeding and medical care for the thousands of animals that need our help. The adoption fee for each animal varies and is dependent on many factors including: age, size, behavior, medical condition and public demand. Animals with a higher adoption price provide us with more resources for the other animals in our care who may need extensive medical care or more time to find a loving home.
All adoption fees are to be paid by cash or credit card.
What is included in the adoption fee?
The adoption package at APS is all-Inclusive. Your new dog or cat will come home with a medical exam, spay/neuter, vaccines, a microchip and lots of love. Staff & Volunteers will help you learn about any dog or cat (or rabbit!) you may be interested in adopting and will provide care, love and support throughout your entire adoption process.
- Basic Medical Exam
- Spay or Neuter Surgery
- Rabies Vaccination (4 mo+)
- DA2PPV Vaccination (dogs)
- FVRCP Vaccination (cats)
- Bordetella Vaccination (dogs)
- Intestinal Parasite Check
- Heartworm Test (dogs 6mo+)
- FeLV/FIV Test (cats)
The adoption process can take an hour or longer, and sometimes there is a wait to see an adoption counselor. Try to visit the shelter during the week if possible.
Please bring your children to visit with the pets you are interested in. You may also bring your family dog if you are interested in adopting a new dog.
We receive many animals each day, so if we don’t have what you are looking for when you visit, please come back another day.
For adoption, redemption or other payments, APS of Durham accepts cash, Visa or Master Card. Checks are not accepted.