Thank you for your interest in APS of Durham. Please visit our site regularly to learn about the status of our job postings and to find those that may relate to your experience and talents.
Events & Communications Manager
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Development Director, the Event Manager is responsible for presenting the public face of Animal Protection Society of Durham (APS) to the community, donors and businesses through the development and coordination of community, outreach and fundraising events. This position will develop, improve and implement all outreach, events coordination, and related activities for APS. This includes the project management of related content on the APS website, social media, print advertisements and materials, school group presentations and tours, the APS booth at community events, and oversight of the Education and Outreach volunteer committee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organize, manage, field calls/email inquiries for and promote community and major fundraising events (annual gala, walk, workplace events, wellness days, vaccine clinics, and spay/neuter events).
- Implement educational programs that will reach a variety of audiences and age groups, focusing on responsible pet care and the humane treatment of animals for use at tabling events and educational outreach forums.
- Implement the APS of Durham public relations and marketing efforts through events and outreach to assure the fulfillment of the APS of Durham mission.
- Generate public awareness of APS of Durham and events through press releases, media outreach, assist in the development of goal-oriented marketing messages and coordinate public displays both within and outside the shelter.
- Responsible for content oversight, implementation and daily management of APS of Durham’s online marketing and social media initiatives, supervising the social media volunteer team.
- In conjunction with the Development Director and Marketing Committee, assist in the planning and implementation of marketing for adoption and fundraising events. Assist with the writing, editing and design of printed material such as brochures, adoption packets, fliers, other informational materials and news releases.
- Responsible for coordinating the print production of materials, which include event collateral material, brochures, pamphlets, information sheets and flyers, banners, posters to ensure all meet style and brand guidelines for consistency through all forms of media in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintenance of the APS website, including graphics, announcements, articles and up-to-date content and events.
- In conjunction with the Development Director, program staff and Marketing Committee, assist in the research and writing of educational pieces for APS of Durham key educational messages and newsletters (About APS of Durham/Community Resources, APS Adoption Program, Spay/Neuter, Responsible Pet Ownership, and Humane/Positive Training) and distribute via APS website, mass email, social media and local news outlets.
- Work well with volunteers on administrative, events and marketing activities and projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the APS Development Director.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Ability to work Monday through Friday in the office, during business hours, plus occasional evenings and weekends as needed for meetings and events. Responsible to ensure weekend events are appropriately staffed. Must be able to work occasional Saturdays when/if needed.
- Professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, dependability, and flexibility.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Event planning or related experience.
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to comfortably give presentations to small or large groups.
- Exceptional skill in professional writing and design.
- Extensive experience with social media and marketing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite required. Knowledge of publishing software and mass email programs like iContact is a plus.
- Experience and comfort level in working with donors, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, maturity and professionalism at all times.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and values of APS of Durham.
- Knowledge and commitment to animal welfare issues.
Education – A Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on marketing, communications, public policy, education, English, journalism, sales/business or related field.
Experience – At least one-year experience in event planning, marketing, community outreach or public relations. Prior experience working with nonprofit organizations is a plus.
How To Apply – email your resume, cover letter and reference list to Development@APSofDurham.org with the subject line Events Manager. Only submissions that contain a resume and a cover letter will be considered.
Customer Service Representative
This position is to serve as the primary contact for the public for all shelter operations. This includes processing adoptions and redemptions as well as providing animal education and outreach.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide an accurate inventory of animals within the shelter before each business day
· Check the general voicemail and adopt email daily
· Answer phones before and during open hours
· Responsible for the entire adoption process including but not limited to; reviewing adoption applications, communicating with potential adopters ,arranging visitations and filling out paperwork
· Provide counseling and education for the public including general care information, any known history on APS animals, information on acclimating an animal to a new home, training advice, potential health and behavior issues, and responsible pet ownership.
· Assist the public with redeeming their pet from the shelter, including arranging viewing of the stray animals and discussing redemption paperwork and fees.
· Review lost and found requests for the APS website.
· Complete data entry and updates into Chameleon software for accurate inventory and statistics
· Record, organize and file impoundment, application, medical and contract paperwork.
· Collect and record money for both County and APS transactions.
· Provide assistance for Durham residents needing help with their animals. This includes spay/neuter, medical care, financial assistance and other APS resources as needed.
· Coordinate with other departments and management to accomplish APS goals.
· Ability to work every Saturday.
Qualifications & Skills:
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Exceptional and compassionate customer service
· Knowledge of positive training techniques
· Knowledge of common medical and behavioral issues for animals
· Knowledge of shelter standards of care
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and Chameleon software
· Ability to remain calm in often highly emotional and stressful situations involving the public
Education & Experience
· High School Diploma
· Previous customer service as well as animal shelter experience highly desired
· Bilingual preferred
To apply please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. No phone calls please.