Thank you for your interest in APS of Durham. Please visit our site regularly to learn about the status of our job postings and to find those that may relate to your experience and talents.
To apply for an open position, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line.
Events and Communications Manager
Under the direction of the Development Director, the Events and Communications Manager is responsible for developing and presenting the public face of Animal Protection Society of Durham (APS) to the community, donors and businesses. This position will develop, improve and implement all outreach, events coordination, communications and marketing activities for APS. This includes the APS website, social media, print advertisements and materials, school group presentations and tours, the APS booth at community events, and oversight of the Education and Outreach volunteer committee. This position offers a competitive salary, full health insurance and other benefits. We feature a pleasant, professional yet casual working environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement the APS of Durham public relations and marketing programs to assure the fulfillment of the APS of Durham mission.
- Generate public awareness of APS of Durham through press releases, interaction with the media, assist in the development of goal-oriented marketing messages and coordinate public displays both within and outside the shelter.
- Responsible for content oversight, implementation and daily management of APS of Durham’s online marketing and social media initiatives.
- Maintenance of the APS website, including graphics, announcements, articles and up-to-date content and events.
- Write, edit and design print material such as brochures, fliers, other informational materials and news releases.
- Implement educational programs that will reach a variety of audiences and age groups, focusing on responsible pet care and the humane treatment of animals.
- Organize, manage, field calls/email inquiries for and promote community events (annual gala, walk, workplace events, wellness days, vaccine clinics, and spay/neuter events).
- Lead in the planning and implementation of marketing for adoption and fundraising events.
- Research and write educational articles for APS of Durham key educational messages and newsletters (About APS of Durham/Community Resources, APS Adoption Program, Spay/Neuter, Responsible Pet Ownership, and Humane/Positive Training) and distribute via APS website, mass email, social media and local news outlets.
- Assist with the content development of annual solicitations and direct mail campaigns.
- Create or assist with the creation of education materials offered in APS Adoption Packets.
- Responsible for print production of materials, which include brochures, pamphlets, information sheets and flyers, banners, posters to ensure all meet style and brand guidelines for consistency through all forms of media.
- Works well with volunteers on administrative, events and marketing activities and projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the APS Development Director.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Ability to work Tuesday through Saturday in the office or outside setting, during business hours, plus occasional evenings and Sundays as needed for meetings and events.
- Professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, dependability, and flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Exceptional skill in professional writing and design.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to comfortably give presentations to small or large groups.
- Event planning or related experience.
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects.
- Extensive experience with social media and marketing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite required. Knowledge of publishing software, WordPress, and mass email programs like iContact is a plus.
- Experience and comfort level in working with donors and the public.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, maturity and professionalism at all times.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and values of APS of Durham.
- Knowledge and commitment to animal welfare issues.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, public policy, education, English, journalism or other related field.
Experience: At least one year experience in marketing, community outreach or public relations. Prior experience working with nonprofit organizations is a plus.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Employment@apsofdurham.org. Place the position title in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Customer Service Representative
This position is to serve as the primary contact for the public for all shelter operations. This includes processing adoptions and redemptions as well as providing animal education and outreach.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide an accurate inventory of animals within the shelter before each business day
- Check the general voicemail and adopt email daily
- Answer phones before and during open hours
- Responsible for the entire adoption process including but not limited to; reviewing adoption applications, communicating with potential adopters, arranging visitations and filling out paperwork
- Provide counseling and education for the public including general care information, any known history on APS animals, information on acclimating an animal to a new home, training advice, potential health and behavior issues, and responsible pet ownership.
- Assist the public with redeeming their pet from the shelter, including arranging viewing of the stray animals and discussing redemption paperwork and fees.
- Review lost and found requests for the APS website.
- Complete data entry and updates into Chameleon software for accurate inventory and statistics
- Record, organize and file impoundment, application, medical and contract paperwork.
- Collect and record money for both County and APS transactions.
- Provide assistance for Durham residents needing help with their animals. This includes spay/neuter, medical care, financial assistance and other APS resources as needed.
- Coordinate with other departments and management to accomplish APS goals.
- Ability to work every Saturday.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional and compassionate customer service
- Knowledge of positive training techniques
- Knowledge of common medical and behavioral issues for animals
- Knowledge of shelter standards of care
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Chameleon software
- Ability to remain calm in often highly emotional and stressful situations involving the public
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma
- Previous customer service as well as animal shelter experience highly desired
- Bilingual preferred
To apply please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. No phone calls please.