Thank you for your interest in APS of Durham. Please visit our site regularly to learn about the status of our job postings and to find those that may relate to your experience and talents.
To apply for an open position, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line.
To assist with providing veterinary medical services to animals at the Durham County Animal Shelter. This includes animal restraint and handling, basic animal care, assisting with medical and surgical procedures, record keeping, laboratory testing, and equipment maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Restraint of animals for medical exams and procedures
- Care of animals in medical areas (feeding, cleaning, monitoring, etc.)
- Care of small animal species (rabbits, guinea pigs, rodents, reptiles, birds, exotics, etc). Includes initial set up, cage cleaning, feeding, maintaining medical records, etc.
- Bring animals to and from kennels to medical areas
- Clean, stock and prepare surgery room and equipment
- Clean, wrap, sterilize and maintain surgical instruments and packs
- Induce, maintain and monitor anesthesia
- Recover anesthetized patients
- Maintain medical records, drug logs and medication sheets
- Maintain inventory, order and stock supplies
- Collect blood, urine, and fecal samples
- Perform, interpret and record results of basic laboratory tests (fecal flotation, heartworm tests, FeLV/FIV tests)
- Administer vaccines
- Administer oral and injectable medications.
- Implant microchips
- Perform euthanasia (training and certification provided)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Exceptional and compassionate animal care skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in animal restraint and handling
- Knowledge of common medical and behavioral issues for animals
- Knowledge of basic shelter standards of care
- Close attention to detail and cleanliness
- Ability to learn new skills effectively
- Ability to work and thrive in an open intake shelter setting
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of high school diploma
- Additional education preferred
- Previous experience as a veterinary technician highly desired
- Previous animal shelter experience highly desired