Thank you for your interest in APS of Durham. Please visit our site regularly to learn about the status of our job postings and to find those that may relate to your experience and talents. At this time, there are no open positions.
To apply for an open position, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line. No phone call inquiries, please.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for overseeing the administration of the volunteer program, managing a volunteer database and serving as primary contact to volunteers. This includes management of the APS Foster Program.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage all volunteer activity of more than 500 active volunteers.
- Serve as primary contact for existing and potential volunteers and foster parents.
- Motivate, evaluate and recognize volunteers and foster positive experiences for volunteers.
- Liaise with APS management to assess volunteer needs and match volunteers with opportunities that suit their skills and serve the organization.
- Create, edit and/or update volunteer program materials as needed (policies and procedures, applications, agreements, handbooks, role descriptions, orientation, training, etc.).
- Manage the volunteer database.
- Organize and host volunteer orientations.
- Schedule and oversee volunteer training and performance.
- Track and assess volunteer statistics.
- Recruit, orient and train foster volunteers, arrange placement of animals into foster homes and oversee all foster activity, including promotion of fostered animals.
- Manage, recruit and train all APS major event volunteers.
- Recruit, manage, train and oversee volunteers for APS co-location evacuation shelters.
- Other duties as assigned by the APS Executive Director.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, dependability, and flexibility.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Willingness and aptitude to learn how to administer volunteer database.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to honesty, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Enthusiasm for helping and working with people of diverse backgrounds and ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities.
- The ability to communicate with, supervise and motivate volunteers to be effective in their roles.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant, professional manner in the midst of tense or adverse situations.
- Passion for the mission of the APS of Durham.
- Knowledge and commitment to animal welfare issues.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience accepted.
- At least one year of management or leadership experience.
- Prior work with nonprofit organizations a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications required.
- Experience with mass email programs like iContact a plus.
Job Type: Full time, exempt, permanent position
Salary: Dependent upon experience