Help us CLEAR the SHELTER this Saturday, August 18th! From 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., APS will waive adoption fees for all animals – cats, dogs & small animals!
WRAL-TV and MIX 101.5 WRAL-FM, in partnership with the Humane Society of the U.S., have teamed up with APS and 11 other local animal shelters to host Clear the Shelters, the third-annual nationwide pet adoption drive. Each shelter will waive adoption fees on Saturday, August 18th as part of the nationwide NBCUniversal Clear the Shelters initiative.
What to Expect:
- The lines will be long, and there may be rain, so please come prepared. We will not be able to accommodate anyone inside the shelter.
- We will be updating everyone throughout the day on how many dogs, cats and small animals are still available for adoption.
- There will be two check-ins: those wanting to adopt a dog, and those wanting to adopt a cat or small animal. All APS cats MUST be indoor cats. You will be given a number to enter the building for either (or both) animal categories you are interested in adopting.
- There will be extra parking in front of Durham County Animal Control: 3005 Glenn Rd, Durham, NC 27704
- Before you can enter the shelter, you must fill out an adoption application while in line, or fill one out at home and bring it with you. Adoption applications can be found HERE.
- A valid ID will be required for adoptions.
- Please also bring current or past veterinary records, and lease information that includes pet policies if you are renting. This will help speed up the adoption process.
- Once your number is called, you will enter through the correct door to meet your dog or cat/small animal “match maker.” You will be escorted through the shelter and able to meet one-on-one with the animals you are interested in adopting.
- Note: If you are interested in adopting an animal, but wanting to meet with others before making a decision, please know that we are unable to place a hold on any animal while you meet with additional animals.
- No outside animals are allowed at APS during this event. If you would like to have a meet and greet with your current pet, please wait until the following week to do so.
- If you plan to adopt a cat and have a cat carrier (or could borrow one), please bring it with you.
- If you plan to adopt a dog, please bring a leash and collar with you.
- Once you have finished your adoption paperwork, with new pet in hand, we encourage you to take a “shelfie” (shelter selfie) with your new pet in the photo booth we will have set up. Please post to social media and use the following hashtags: #apsofdurham #shelfie #WRAL #ClearTheShelters
For more information on Clear the Shelters, click HERE!
Did you see APS on the news? Learn more about our new Animal Behavior Manager, Julie, and the programs she and APS behavior volunteers are putting in place for our dogs.