Clear The Shelters 2019!
August 17 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Help us CLEAR the SHELTER this Saturday, August 17th! From 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., APS will waive adoption fees for all animals – cats, dogs & small animals!
WRAL-TV and MIX 101.5 WRAL-FM, in partnership with the Humane Society of the U.S., have teamed up with APS and other local animal shelters to host Clear the Shelters, the fourth-annual nationwide pet adoption drive. Each shelter will waive adoption fees on Saturday, August 17th as part of the nationwide NBCUniversal Clear the Shelters initiative.
What to Expect:
- The lines will be long, and there may be rain, so please come prepared. We will not be able to accommodate anyone inside the shelter.
- We will be updating everyone throughout the day on how many dogs, cats and small animals are still available for adoption.
- There will be two check-ins: those wanting to adopt a dog, and those wanting to adopt a cat or small animal. All APS cats MUST be indoor cats. You will be given a number to enter the building for either (or both) animal categories you are interested in adopting.
- There will be extra parking in front of Durham County Animal Control: 3005 Glenn Rd, Durham, NC 27704
- Once your number is called, you will enter through the correct door to meet your dog or cat/small animal “match maker.” You will be escorted through the shelter and able to meet one-on-one with the animals you are interested in adopting.
- Note: If you are interested in adopting an animal, but wanting to meet with others before making a decision, please know that we are unable to place a hold on any animal while you meet with additional animals.
- No outside animals are allowed at APS during this event.
- If you plan to adopt a cat and have a cat carrier (or could borrow one), please bring it with you.
- Once you have finished your adoption paperwork, with new pet in hand, we encourage you to take a “shelfie” (shelter selfie) with your new pet in the photo booth we will have set up. Please post to social media and use the following hashtags: #apsofdurham #shelfie #WRAL #ClearTheShelters