Events & Communications Manager
Under the direction of the Director of Development & Marketing, the Events & Communications Manager is responsible for presenting the public message of Animal Protection Society of Durham (APS) to the community, donors and businesses through the development and coordination of community, outreach, and fundraising events. This position will develop, implement, and improve all outreach, events coordination, and related communication and activities for APS. This includes the project management of related content on the APS website, social media, print advertisements and materials, school group presentations and tours, the APS booth at community events, and dissemination of educational articles/information. As a member of the development team, this position is also responsible for development and implementation of our community event fundraising strategies and achievement of those goals. This position offers a competitive salary, full health insurance and other benefits. We feature a pleasant, professional yet casual working environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organize, manage, field inquiries for and promote community and major fundraising events (annual Gala, Walk, workplace events, adoption/outreach events, and the like).
- Accomplish fundraising goals for community events, strategic business partnerships, peer-to-peer online efforts, etc. working collaboratively with the Director of Development & Marketing.
- Disseminate educational program information to reach various audiences and age groups, focusing on responsible pet care and humane treatment of animals, be it for use at tabling events, online or other educational outreach forums.
- Implement the APS of Durham public relations and marketing efforts through events and outreach to assure the fulfillment of the APS of Durham mission.
- Generate public awareness of APS of Durham and events through press releases, media outreach, goal-oriented marketing messages and advertisements, coordinate public displays both within and outside the shelter.
- Responsible for content oversight, implementation, and daily management of APS of Durham’s online marketing and social media initiatives, supervising the social media volunteer team. Develop and implement social platform strategies for growth.
- In conjunction with the Development Director and related committee(s), assist in planning and implementation of marketing for adoption and fundraising events. Lead the writing, editing and design of printed & online material such as newsletters, ads, adoption packets, fliers, other informational materials and news releases.
- Responsible for coordinating the print production of materials, which include event collateral material, information sheets, flyers, banners, posters to ensure style and brand guidelines are met and consistent through all forms of media, in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintenance of the APS website, including graphics, announcements, articles and up-to-date content and events.
- In conjunction with the Development Director, program staff and committee(s), assist in the research and writing of educational pieces for APS of Durham key educational messages and newsletters (About APS of Durham/Community Resources, APS Adoption Program, Spay/Neuter, Responsible Pet Ownership, and Humane/Positive Training) and distribute via APS website, mass email, social media, local news outlets and/or print.
- Work well with volunteers on administrative, events and marketing activities and projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the APS Development Director.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Ability to work Monday through Friday in the office, during business hours, plus occasional evenings and weekends as needed for meetings and events. Responsible to ensure weekend events are appropriately staffed (with volunteers). Must be able to work occasional Saturdays when/if needed.
- Professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, dependability, and flexibility.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Event planning or related experience.
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to comfortably give presentations to small or large groups.
- Exceptional skill in professional writing and design.
- Extensive experience with social media and marketing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite required. Knowledge of publishing software and mass email programs like iContact is a plus. Proficiency of graphic design tools, like Canva, also a plus.
- Experience and comfort level in working with donors, volunteers, and the public.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, maturity, and professionalism.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and values of APS of Durham.
- Knowledge of and commitment to animal welfare issues.
Education – A Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on marketing, communications, public policy, education, English, journalism, sales/business or related field.
Experience – At least one-year experience in event planning, marketing, communications, community outreach or public relations. Prior experience working with nonprofit organizations and managing volunteers is a plus.
How To Apply – Email your resume, cover letter and reference list to Development@APSofDurham.org with the subject line Communications Manager. Only submissions that contain a resume and a cover letter will be considered. Position open until filled.