Keep your pet safe this July 4th Holiday
The summer season – and particularly the July 4th holiday – is a lot of fun, but it can be very stressful to our pets. Did you know that more dogs go missing during the July 4th holiday, than any other time of the year?
Here on some tips to keep your pets safe, happy and calm during the July 4th holiday, and also throughout the summer.
- Keep all pets inside during fireworks. Thundershirts can be helpful, and providing blankets for your pets to snuggle up in can help calm them, as well. Leaving the television or music on is a great idea if you plan to keep your pet inside while you are outside or away from home. Also, please check your pet’s ID tags and be sure the contact information is updated in case they do get away.
- Keep alcoholic beverages away from your pets.
- Keep pets away from the grill, quick-light charcoal and lighter fluid.
- Keep your pets on their normal diets – grapes, onions, and avocado are all potentially toxic to dogs.
- If your pet is going to be around water, or on a boat, please ensure a life jacket is on your pet at all times. If this is your pet’s first time on the boat, keep the trip short.
- Always ensure your pet has access to drinking water.
Follow these tips, and not only will you have a great time celebrating the Fourth of July, so will your pet!